Founded in 1920, the Va’ad Leumi (National Council) was the main institution of the Jewish community in the land of Israel before the modern state was established and the executive branch of the Elected Assembly.
The Political Department of the Va’ad Leumi was in charge of talking with the British, and creating relationships with the Jewish Agency.
The Va’ad Leumi was comprised of a number of different departments:
– Social Welfare
The leadership was run by the president. Below is a list of the presidents between 1920 and 1948.
– 1920–1929 David Yellin
– 1929–1931 Pinhas Rutenberg
– 1939–1944 Yitzhak Ben-Zvi
– 1944–1948 David Remez